Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Lawful Permanent Residents

Legal Permanent Residents- to replace “Articles of Interest”

Lost, Stolen, or Expired Green Cards

U.S. lawful permanent residents present in Ethiopia who have lost, had their permanent resident or “green” card stolen, or whose "green" card expired may apply for a reentry visa at the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa during public American Citizen Service hours, from Monday through Thursday between 1:00pm and 3:00pm by appointment. Please use on the following link to schedule an appointment online  

You may cancel or change your scheduled appointment in advance if necessary by accessing the scheduling calendar. Applicants who fail to appear for a scheduled appointment must schedule a new appointment.  We strongly suggest that applicants download and complete the application form in advance.

We strongly suggest that applicants download and complete the application form in advance.

For lost/stolen permanent resident "green" card:

Please print and complete pages one to three of the

I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

All applicants must bring

  • a completed I-90 application,

      . Form I-90 (355 KB PDF)

      . Instructions for Form I-90 (277 KB PDF)

      . Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance (239 KB PDF)

  • two front view color pictures (2 inches x 2 inches) with a white background, and
  • a police report with English translation if the green card was lost or stolen.

U.S. lawful permanent residents in an emergency situation can request an expedited reentry visa during regular American Citizen Service hours. Emergency requests should be accompanied by evidence of the need for immediate travel. Please note that due to processing requirements, it may not be possible to accommodate emergency requests. Normal processing time for reentry visas is one week.

For overstayed valid or expired permanent resident “green’ card:

a) to reinstate resident status

• a completed DS- 117 application

• evidence for overstaying for reasons beyond control

b) to abandon resident status and apply for a non-immigrant visa:

• a complete Form I-407
• click on the link below and follow the instruction: